My family

My family
Taken Aug. 2011

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lunch Lady??? I don't think so!!!

Here it goes!
A week ago on Friday I received a call from a Kent Getzin, director of Food Services for the Wenatchee school district. He asked if I had applied for the position of Lead server/Asst. lunch server at Washington Elementary. I replied, Yes. He said Trish Greene at Washington had brought my name to his attention and was wondering if I would like to substitute in the position for 2 weeks to see if i liked it. So I told him I would.
The first day: (Tues. 9/16) I arrive at the school at 7AM, as that is what time I needed to be there. I went into the school, saw Trish and was excited to work with her. She is a super sweet person, always happy & smiling. We went into the kitchen, and she told me about what we were doing that morning. What was for breakfast, etc. I received a blue apron, and a lovely hairnet. It was great!! I looked marvelous!! :-)
We heated up the pancakes and sausages for breakfast, took the cereal, milk and fruit to the other gym to serve breakfast. I was the syrup lady. After breakfast, we went back to the kitchen and then she showed me what was next, etc. I was done at 8:30 and had to be back at 10:15 for lunch prep, serve, etc.
For lunch it was Salad bar or Hamburger Deluxe. I was in charge of setting up the salad bar and keeping it stocked, also keeping the lunch lines moving and not getting backed up. Ok, so far so good!! Well, then after lunch was over, much to my dismay I got the lovely job of washing all the lunch trays (over 300). ICKY!!! I had to plug my way through until 2pm when I was off duty. It was yucky! I had made a salad to eat after my shift and couldn't eat it. Felt sick to my stomach!!
I had decided the first day that this wasn't the job I would love. I enjoy being with the kids, and this didn't give me that opportunity. Also, I don't want to wash dishes anymore than I have to. ;-)

Next day, same routine. Served Breakfast Quesadillas for breakfast, I was the salsa lady. Then for lunch was Pretzel with Cheese sauce/or salad bar. The trays were icky and gross. I really couldn't eat after that!! YUCK!! The dishwater was disgusting.

Yesterday, my last day, I only had to come in for the lunch portion to help. We had Chili Haystacks. It amazed me how well the chili came off the trays, but not the shredded cheese that had melted. ICK!!

Anyhow, I will wait for another opportunity at a position I could love.
Until then, no more lunch lady for me!!! ;-)

1 comment:

Lott said...

It's not often you can actually try a job out before you commit. Good think you had the chance.